Cleridy E. Lennert-CodyPosition: Senior Statistician - La Jolla Headquarters
Stock Assessment Program
- Provide support in data preparation and statistical analyses for use in IATTC stock assessments.
- Provide analytical support and statistical analyses to all IATTC research programs.
- AIDCP dolphin related research.
- Develop sampling designs for IATTC’s fishery data collection programs.
- Ph.D. Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 1999
- M.Sc. in Statistics from the University of California at San Diego, 1989
Prior to joining the IATTC team in 1991, Dr. Lennert-Cody worked as a statistician for the Southwest Fisheries Science Center in the Marine Mammal Division. Cleridy has provided statistical support for various aspects of the AIDCP Program since joining IATTC, including conducting comparisons of observer programs and conducting data screening analyses to identify unusual data. She also has conducted research on several topics related to marine mammals in the eastern Pacific Ocean (EPO), such as factors affecting dolphin mortality in the purse-seine fishery, estimation of relative abundance indices for dolphins from observer data, and estimation of incidental mortality of dolphins in the purse-seine fishery. She has worked on bycatch of non-mammal species in the EPO, such as the silky shark, and in collaboration with colleagues in Japan, developed indices of relative abundance from observer data for the silky shark. To assist with management of tropical tunas, she has worked on studies affecting tuna catches, such as factors affecting the probability of catching bigeye tuna. Cleridy’s recent projects include development of sampling designs for shark fisheries of coastal member nations and for the current Individual Vessel Limit scheme for bigeye catches, development of regression tree methods for length-frequency data and trends data to define fishery areas and tuna stock structure, and assisting in the development of new survey methodology for estimation of dolphin abundance in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. In addition to these projects, her current research interests include the application of machine learning algorithms to data screening problems and studies of fishing vessel behavior and fishing strategies.
ISC Shark Working Group (2011-present).
- Lennert-Cody, C.E., McCracken, M., Siu, S., Oliveros-Ramos, R., Maunder, M.N., Aires-da-Silva, A., Miguel, Carvajal Rodrigues, J. M., Opsomer, J. 2022. Single-cluster sampling designs for shark catch size composition in a Central American longline fishery. Fisheries Research
- Lennert-Cody, C.E., Maunder, M.N., Román, M.H., Xu, H., Minami, M., Lopez, J. 2020. Cluster analysis methods applied to daily vessel location data to identify cooperative fishing among tuna purse-seiners. Environmental and Ecological Statistics
- Mark N.Maunder, James T.Thorson, Haikun Xu, Ricardo Oliveros-Ramos, Simon D.Hoyle, Laura Tremblay-Boyer, Hui Hua Lee , Mikihiko Kai, Shui-KaiChang, Toshihide Kitakado, Christoffer M.Albertsen, Carolina V.Minte-Vera, Cleridy E.Lennert-Cody, Alexandre M.Aires-da-Silva, Kevin R.Piner 2020. The need for spatio-temporal modeling to determine catch-per-unit effort based indices of abundance and associated composition data for inclusion in stock assessment models. Fisheries Research
- Xu, H., Lennert-Cody, C. E., Maunder, M. N., Minte-Vera. C. V. 2019. Spatiotemporal dynamics of the dolphin-associated purse-seine fishery for yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) in the eastern Pacific Ocean. Fisheries Research
- Duffy, L.M., C.E. Lennert-Cody, R. Olson, C.V. Minte-Vera, and S.P. Griffiths 2019. Assessing vulnerability of bycatch species in the tuna purse-seine fisheries of the eastern Pacific Ocean. Fisheries Research
- Lennert-Cody, C.E., Moreno, G., Restrepo, V., Román, M.H., Maunder, M.N. 2018. Recent purse-seine FAD fishing strategies in the eastern Pacific Ocean: what is the appropriate number of FADs at sea?. ICES Journal of Marine Science
- Lennert-Cody, C. E., Buckland, S. T, Gerrodette, T., Webb, A., Barlow, J., Fretwell, P., Maunder, M. N., Kitakado, T., Moore, J. E., Scott, M. D., Skaug, H. J. 2018. Review of potential line-transect methodologies for estimating abundance of dolphin stocks in the eastern tropical Pacific. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management
- Lennert-Cody, C.E., Clarke, S.C., Aires-da-Silva, A., Maunder, M.N., Franks, P.J.S., Roman, M., Miller, A.J., Minami, M. 2018. The importance of environment and life stage on interpretation of silky shark relative abundance indices for the equatorial Pacific Ocean. Fisheries Oceanography
- Frederic Vandeperre, Alexandre Aires-da-Silva, Cleridy Lennert-Cody, Ricardo Serrão Santos, Pedro Afonso 2016. Essential pelagic habitat of juvenile blue shark (Prionace glauca) inferred from telemetry data. Limnology and Oceanography
- Lennert-Cody, C.E., Maunder, M.N., Fiedler, P.C., Minami, M., Gerrodette, T., Rusin, J., Minte-Vera, C.V., Scott, M., Buckland, S.T. 2016. Purse-seine vessels as platforms for monitoring the population status of dolphin species in the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. Fisheries Research