Program(s) in charge: Stock Assessment Program
Click to see projects by theme, goal or target:
- Provide training and enhance communication between scientists and managers on management objectives, harvest strategies and management strategy evaluation (MSE).
- Several tuna RFMOs are strengthening communications among scientists, managers and other stakeholders throughout similar workshops, including an initial one for the EPO in Panama (2015).
- The IATTC Performance Review and Strategic Science Plan recommend improving knowledge sharing, human-institutional capacity building and communication of scientific advice.
- Relevance for management
- Key elements of IATTC’s management strategy, such as its harvest control rule and reference points, along with alternatives, are being evaluated via MSE.
- Improving participation and communication among all stakeholders is important throughout the development, evaluation and implementation of a management strategy
- Planning and organization: 1-2 weeks. Workshop: 2 days (last quarter of 2018)
- Workplan and status
- Form organizing committee to develop workshop agenda.
- Develop/tailor workshop materials (preferably in Spanish) to EPO tunamanagement needs.
- Likely topics: Objectives, tactics and strategies, Kobe plots, harvest control rules, reference points. MSE components, development and implementation.
- Logistics: Confirm presenters, host country (Ecuador has expressed interest), travel, venue, accommodations, invite Commissioners (mainly from coastal CPCs).
- Conduct workshop with a format of both presentations and hands-on sessions with MSE “toy” models to illustrate main points, issues, trade-offs, and foster dialogue among Workshop participants.
- External collaborators
- WWF; Ocean Outcomes; ISSF
- Workshop report and associated materials